Monday, December 3, 2007


A 21-year-old part-time model has been remanded for three days until Tuesday as police continue their investigation into the death of a son of State Assemblyman Datuk Amir Kahar Tun Mustapha. Magistrate Richard Isidore issued the remand order when the college student was produced before him at the district police headquarters in Karamunsing about 10.3Oam yesterday. The woman was represented by counsel Ram Singh who later told reporters that apart from his client, police also recorded statements from her mother, elder sister and father late Saturday. He said police were investigating the case under Section 302 of the Penal Code for murder. Datu Azlan Amir Kahar, 24, was taken from his fiancee’s family home at Taman BPL in Kepayan Ridge to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH) where he was pronounced dead on arrival early Saturday morning.
According to a relative who spoke on behalf of the deceased’s father, the fiancee’s mother had called around 7am on Saturday to inform Azlan’s mother, Datin Aminah Ambrose, that he had died of a stroke. The relative however noted that they were informed that the reason for Azlan’s death given in the fiancee’s police statement was due to self-inflicted wounds. Azlan’s relatives also sensed something was amiss when they saw deep gashes and multiple wounds as well as bite marks on the victim’s head and arms, when claiming the body from the QEH mortuary after the post-mortem. Azlan, a business student at Inti College, had gone to his fiancee’s house on Friday night. He was buried on Saturday evening near the Tun Mustapha monument, erected in honour of his late grandfather, in Kampung Ulu Putatan near here. When contacted yesterday, acting city police chief Superintendent Rowel Marong said the police were investigating the case from all possible angles. However, he declined to reveal any details as they had yet to complete their investigations. “We are covering all angles in our investigation. While the post-mortem has been completed, we are still waiting for the full report from the chemist’s department. “The victim’s fiancee is still being detained to facilitate investigations but if all goes well, we expect to be able to release her on bail tomorrow (today),” he said. The police have only detained the 21-year-old woman in connection with the case.