Thursday, December 20, 2007


Dr Jeffrey seriously injured in accident
Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) Vice President, Datuk Dr Jeffrey Kitingan, was seriously injured in a road accident near Pekan Nabalu, some 60 kilometres from here, yesterday. The 60-year-old received 10 stitches on the forehead. Jeffrey, who also sustained a spine injury, is currently warded at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital. He was returning home from a three day PKR roadshow in Semporna along a female family member and their driver Elaiser. The other two escaped minor injuries and bruises, only.
“His condition is reported to be stable …… he is alert and conscious. Currently, the doctors told us that he would be put under observation for the next 48 hours at the Neuro Surgical Ward and would later be transferred to another ward to enable him to recuperate,” said Jeffrey’s political secretary, Kanul Gindul. Jeffrey’s older brother, Datuk Seri Panglima Joseph Pairin Kitingan, who is also the Parti Bersatu Sabah president, deputy Chief Minister and the Huguon Siou (paramount leader of the KadazandusunMurut community) had spent between 10-15 minutes with the younger Kitingan. Other PKR Sabah-based leaders, Christina Liew, Awang Ahmad Shah and others, also visited him at the ward. “On behalf of (Datuk) Jeffrey’s family, office and supporters, I would like to thank everybody for their help and prayers. I have also informed the top leaders in Kuala Lumpur,” Gindul said. Jeffrey’s wife, Datin Susan Kitingan, who is currently abroad was also informed of the accident. It was reported that she had personally spoken to the doctor treating her husband to find out his condition. Tuaran District Police chief DSP Suhaimi Wiro, when contacted, disclosed that the accident occurred around 5am at KM36 along Jalan Tamparuli-Ranau, near Kampung Bongol. “Initial investigations revealed that they were moving downhill and on an ‘S’ curve when the driver lost control of the fourwheel drive vehicle, before it overturned and crashed onto the foothill,” he said. Jeffrey was later rushed to the Tuaran District Hospital before he was transferred to QEH for further treatment.